Introduction about Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY) RKVY-RAFTAAR
The Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojna (RKVY) is an important scheme of the Government of India, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare (MoA&FW), aimed at strengthening infrastructure in agriculture and allied areas In order to promote agripreneurship and agribusiness by providing financial support and nurturing the incubation ecosystem, a new component under the revamped scheme RKVY-RAFTAAR has been launched in 2018-19 with 10% of annual outlay inclusive of 2% administrative cost.
RKVY-RAFTAAR supports agribusiness incubation by tapping innovations and technologies for venture creation in agriculture. In this process, incubation facilities and expertise already available with participating academic, technical, management and R&D institutions in the country shall be utilized on an individual or collective basis to harness synergies. The existing institutional agribusiness incubators would be strengthened on a need basis by providing grants-in-aid.
Key components of Innovation & Entrepreneurship Cell under RKVY-RAFTAAR
The following components will be executed under RKVY-RAFTAAR:
- Strengthening of existing agribusiness incubators for integrated rejuvenation and development and setting up new ones – R-ABI (RKVY-RAFTAAR Agribusiness Incubators).
- Seed Stage Funding of R-ABI Incubatees
- Agripreneurship Orientation
- Idea/Pre-Seed Stage Funding of Agripreneurs.
The same facility will be utilized to execute all the above-mentioned components of RKVY-RAFTAAR.
Establishment of RKVY-RAFTAAR Agribusiness Incubators (R-ABIs) and strengthening of existing agribusiness incubators.
Under this scheme, new agribusiness incubators will be established as well as existing agribusiness incubators strengthened as R-ABIs with need-based infrastructure, equipment and manpower. These R-ABIs will in turn invite applications from agripreneurs in different stages of the business life cycle (ideation/expansion) and provide them an opportunity to generate innovations in agriculture and allied sector.
These innovations may include, for example, technological solutions/ processes / products/ services/ business platforms etc. that could enhance productivity or increase efficiency in agriculture and allied activities, enhance remuneration/ farmers’ incomes, rural economy and wealth. Aligning farmers to market through value chain approach with a sustainable development agenda will be the other key objective of the incubation/agripreneurship development programme under RKVY-RAFTAAR.
Objectives of RKVY-RAFTAAR Agribusiness Incubators (R-ABI)
- To achieve ”Lab to land” by dissemination of new technology /varieties to farmers through promoting a culture of Agri startups
- To promote innovation, entrepreneurship and business creation in agriculture and allied sector by skill development, capacity building and technology scale up;
- To create employment opportunities for youth in agriculture in the rural vicinity;
- To promote an integrated approach for technology acquisition, R&D, commercial technology transfer and knowledge dissemination;
- To facilitate evolution of an agri-startup ecosystem by support for cost effective, value added services including technical, legal, financial, intellectual property and regulatory compliance related services to agripreneurs;
- To build a vibrant agri-startup ecosystem, by establishing a network between academia, financial institutions, industries and other related institutions;
- Capacity building of existing agri-incubators as R-ABIs to achieve other related objectives;
- To generate/ provide innovative solution to meet local and global agriculture and business challenges, and competitiveness.
Organizational Arrangements under RKVY-RAFTAAR
The Nodal Division of RKVY-RAFTAAR in DAC&FW shall be responsible for governance and overall management of the scheme. The Division will invite applications and sanction projects for R-ABIs based on recommendations of RKVY- RAFTAAR Selection & Monitoring Committee (RC). The Division will ensure release of funds in instalments, following due procedure and ensuring proper utilization of funds etc. The Nodal Division shall be the final authority for deciding on all matters including financing mentioned at para 3.1 (i to iv) and review of progress, monitoring etc. of all projects sanctioned under this scheme
- RKVY-RAFTAAR Selection & Monitoring Committee (RC)
- RC shall be constituted under the Chairmanship of Joint Secretary of the Nodal Division, DAC&FW.
- RC will consist of 3-5 domain experts, including one each in R & D, Technology Development & Commercialization and Incubation & Entrepreneurship and a Representative of the Knowledge Partner.
- Member Secretary of RC will be decided by the Chairman of the committee.
- The term of the committee will be co-terminus with the scheme.
- RC will meet on a regular basis, at least once in every quarter.
- RC will recommend to the Nodal Division of RKVY-RAFTAAR for selection, sanction, review, monitoring of various projects under different components of RKVY- RAFTAAR and any other matter that may be brought before this empowered committee from time to time.
Eligibility for submitting proposal for Agribusiness Incubators
- Public funded Academic/ Technical/R&D institutions/ organizations/ universities/ State Agriculture University(s)(SAUs)/IITs/IIMs [called Host Institution (HI)] working in Agriculture & Allied sectors and engaged in promotion of innovation, technology development & commercialization with a proven track record in promotion of agri/rural-technology based enterprises would be eligible to apply.
- The Host Institution is required to have adequate expertise and infrastructure to support agri-incubation activity. Provision of a minimum of 5,000 sq. ft. built up space (including existing incubation space) for hosting the R-ABI.
- The R-ABI may be setup as a “not for profit” section 8 company or as a Society/Trust at the discretion of the Host
- The existing agribusiness incubators should have adequate expertise and infrastructure to support incubation activity for promoting innovation in agribusiness.
- To set up new R-ABI, the eligible public funded institutions as stated above, should have a proven track record of promotion of innovative /technology-based entrepreneurship in agri-business.
- A Pure R&D proposal for academic pursuits and industrial consultancy will not be eligible for support.
- The proposals which are not complete or do not meet eligibility criteria will not be considered.
Seed Stage Funding as grant-in-aid to Startups under RKVY-RAFTAAR
This seed stage funding will be available to incubatees who are incubated at the R- ABI. Under this, financial assistance of a maximum of Rs. 25 lakhs will be granted to potential startups that have a minimum viable product (MVP) based on innovative solutions/ processes / products/ services/ business models in agriculture and allied sector.
The amount of Rs. 25 lakh is the upper limit of the seed fund assistance under RKVY-RAFTAAR. The applicant incubatees would be provided funds as per their genuine requirements and as per appraisal/evaluation of their business plans by the RC and the decision of the RC in this regard will be final. The RC will not be bound to give any reason in case an application for seed loan is rejected under RKVY-RAFTAAR.
This support will assist the incubatees to launch their products/ services/ business platforms etc. into the market and help them to scale up their operations as well as to attain business viability at a faster pace. This support will also facilitate them to attract investments from angel/venture capitalists or taking loans from commercial banks /financial institutions for further scaling-up of their business operations under RKVY-RAFTAAR.
Idea/ Pre-Seed Stage Funding
Under this, subsistence grant of a maximum of Rs. 5 lakhs will be provided to interns who have successfully completed the initial two months of agripreneurship orientation programme and are aspiring to convert their innovative idea based on technology, service, business platforms etc. into a prototype/ product.
Startups supported for idea/pre-seed stage funding will be eligible for obtaining next stage of Seed Stage Funding after evaluation.
RKVY-RAFTAAR Agribusiness Incubators (R-ABIs) under RKVY-RAFTAAR:
The DAC&FW has also appointed 24 RKVY-RAFTAAR Agribusiness Incubators (R-ABIs) for the purpose of encouraging start-ups, which are as follows:
- ChaudharyCharan Singh University, Hisar, Haryana
- CSK Himachal Pradesh KrishiVishvavidyalaya, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh
- IIT-BHU, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Jawaharlal Nehru KrishiVishwaVidyalaya, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- ICAR-Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
- Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, Punjab
- Indira Gandhi KrishiVishwavidyalaya, Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, Jammu, J & K
- IIM, Kashipur, Uttarakhand
- Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur, Kerala
- ICAR-Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Agri innovation and entrepreneurship cell, ANGRAU, Andhra Pradesh
- National Rice Research Institute, Cuttack, Odisha
- S K N Agriculture University, Jobner, Rajasthan
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, West Bengal
- Bihar Agricultural University, Bhagalpur, Bihar
- Anand Agricultural University, Anand, Gujarat
- ICAR-Central Institute for Research on Cotton Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Dr.PanjabraoDeshmukhKrishiVidyapeeth, Akola, Maharashtra
- ICAR-NIVEDI, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- College of Fisheries, Lembucherra, Tripura
- Dept. of Veterinary Medicine College of Veterinary Sciences &Animal Husbandry, Mizoram
- College of Horticulture & Forestry, Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh.
How to apply for for RKVY-RAFTAAR Scheme Application for non-refundable Grant.
You can click here to apply Rs 25 lakh Non-Refundable Grant.
You can watch below video to know more about RKVY-RAFTAAR Scheme